Saturday, January 31, 2009

Inspiration & Travels


I have a bunch of goals for the 2009 year, but one that stands out is my goal to get out and travel. Visiting new places far away and near home is something that I often put off when other more pressing or time critical tasks fall on my desk or into the studio. So this year I am committed to traveling and soaking in everything both familiar and new.

This past week, I had a chance to go to Long Beach California, a place that I have never visited - and I took the opportunity of long days and unlimited mileage on the rental car to visit some nearby art haunts.

I am starting to record some of the items that I find inspirational here - as a virtual idea-book for myself. I hope that you also find inspiration - if you do let me know.

I found an unexpected piece at LACMA, an embellished conch shell. Of course the textures on the shell itself are beautiful but what amazing detail on the silver and the inlay of coral, jade, and turquoise.


I find myself also drawn to the collections of illuminated manuscripts and examples of calligraphy and scientific drawings on exhibition at the Getty Center and the Huntington Library. These patterns will surely find their way into my work.

The LACMA, Getty Villa, and Center, and the Huntington Libraries hold amazing collections of decorative art, sculpture, and paintings. I drove on most of the major freeways in LA remained sane, saw amazing art and great gardens. What a great week!

No comments: